Your Career Starts HereReady to begin your journey as a laryngologist? Our programs at Bastian Voice Institute train you on the whole scope of laryngology to prepare you for a roadtrip of success.
Learn about what a fellowship at Bastian Voice Institute might entail, and how to apply.
Senior-residents can explore what’s included in the daily life of a laryngologist .
Speech Pathology Observation
Understand the diagnosis and evaluation of persons requiring speech therapy with close observation of our laryngologists.
Previous Fellowships and Observerships
- Kathelijne Delsupehe, M.D., Roeselare, Belgium
- Norman Hogikyan, M.D., University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
- Brent Richardson, M.D., Bastian Voice Institute
- Rebecca Hoesli, M.D., Bastian Voice Institute
(six months or less)
- Arturo Avila Chavez, M.D., Mexico City, Mexico
- Agata Brys, M.D., Dartmouth, MA
- Rosa Chavez, M.D., Mexico
- Henriette DeGier, M.D., Amsterdam, Holland
- Regis Dewes, M.D., Brazil
- Manuel Gil, M.D., Nuevo Leon, Mexico
- Michael Haben, M.D., M. Sc., Rochester, NY
- Taina Kataja, Rutgers University, NJ
- Anat Keidar, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, New York, NY
- Caitlin Knigge (SLP observation), University of Iowa
- Ying-Ta Lai, M.D., Taiwan
- Richard McHugh, M.D., University of Alabama
- Ewa Olszewska, M.D., Poland
- Chimmy Omamo-Olende, M.D., Nairobi, Kenya
- Michelle Payne (SLP observation), SLP Fellowship, Minneapolis, MN
- Jurjaan Snelleman, M.D., Utrecht Area, Netherlands
- James Thomas, M.D., Portland, OR
- Mary Totten, M.D., Anchorage, AK
- Ozlem Tulunay, M.D., Detroit, MI
- Abhay Vaidya, M.D., Thousand Oaks, CA
- Rodel Velasquez, M.D., Manila, Philippines
- Monique Verguts, M.D., Brussels Area, Belgium
Laryngology Fellowship at BVI
A laryngology fellowship is available at Bastian Voice Institute. Interested individuals should forward the following electronically:
- Letter of inquiry / interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Completed application form (see below)
The contact person is Kyle Bell, Practice Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mr. Bell will also be happy to provide additional initial information by phone if you contact him at 630.724.1100.
Bastian Voice Institute currently comprises a staff of eleven. This includes three laryngologists as well as a physician’s assistant whose practice addresses only voice disorders. We are also affiliated with Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital and Midwest Center for Day Surgery.
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must (by fellowship start date) be board-eligible or board-certified by the American Academy of Otolaryngology. He or she must be aiming for a career in laryngology with interest and aptitude in not only the medicine and surgery of the laryngopharynx, but also in voice disorders and vocal phenomenology. Ordinarily the latter requirement would include the ability to match pitch, musical aptitude, and in the best case, experience as a singer.
The scope of our “full-service laryngology practice” at BVI can be understood best by perusing our website, laryngopedia.com; visiting our facilities; and /or phone conversation, which can be arranged by Mr. Bell. In brief, however, training is available in the following areas:
- Diagnostics, particularly the Integrative Model
- Vocal fold microsurgery, including and especially in singers
- Neurological voice disorders, including spasmodic dysphonia and vocal fold paralysis
- Office-based surgery of the laryngopharynx
- Larynx and laryngopharynx cancer
- Laser surgery (CO2, Thulium, and pulsed-KTP)
- Non-organic voice and airway disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Adult airway reconstruction
- Retrograde cricopharyngeus dysfunction (R-CPD, inability to burp, no-burp)
Due to the importance of first learning our diagnostic model, and also due to the often crucial nature of the work we do in the lives of our patients, this fellowship is in the early weeks somewhat observational, as initial orientation. If desired, we can provide names of other individuals who have completed fellowships of 1 to 12 months.
Visitorships at BVIBastian Voice Institute welcomes interested senior residents to visit our facility for a one-week introduction to our approach to voice, swallowing, and airway disorders. Especially welcome are persons who are interested not only in the larynx / medical treatments / surgery, but also in the diagnostic process and vocal phenomenology. For a one-week visitorship, please apply online or via standard mail to Kyle Bell, Practice Manager. Please forward a letter that includes the source of your interest, experience with voice to date, curriculum vitae, and potential times for your visit.
Speech Pathology Observations at BVIBastian Voice Institute will consider brief visits from interested speech pathologists. To arrange a possible visit to observe our doctors, please send a letter of request, including a curriculum vitae, to Practice Manager Kyle Bell.
A Message from Dr. Bastian
“Welcome to the Bastian Voice Institute website. Here you can learn about our practice, our clinicians, the services we offer, how to make an appointment, and more. Please feel free to contact our office if we can be of further assistance to you. You may also be interested in our educational website, Laryngopedia, which has a wide array of encyclopedia entries, photos, and videos on voice, swallowing, airway, and coughing disorders. Thanks for visiting!”
– Robert W. Bastian, M.D.