A laryngology fellowship is available at Bastian Voice Institute. Interested individuals should forward the following electronically:
- Letter of inquiry / interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Completed application form (see below)
The contact person is Kyle Bell, Practice Manager, at email@example.com. Mr. Bell will also be happy to provide additional initial information by phone if you contact him at 630.724.1100.
Bastian Voice Institute currently comprises a staff of eleven. This includes three laryngologists as well as a physician’s assistant whose practice addresses only voice disorders. We are also affiliated with Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital and Midwest Center for Day Surgery.
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must (by fellowship start date) be board-eligible or board-certified by the American Academy of Otolaryngology. He or she must be aiming for a career in laryngology with interest and aptitude in not only the medicine and surgery of the laryngopharynx, but also in voice disorders and vocal phenomenology. Ordinarily the latter requirement would include the ability to match pitch, musical aptitude, and in the best case, experience as a singer.
The scope of our “full-service laryngology practice” at BVI can be understood best by perusing our website, laryngopedia.com; visiting our facilities; and /or phone conversation, which can be arranged by Mr. Bell. In brief, however, training is available in the following areas:
- Diagnostics, particularly the Integrative Model
- Vocal fold microsurgery, including and especially in singers
- Neurological voice disorders, including spasmodic dysphonia and vocal fold paralysis
- Office-based surgery of the laryngopharynx
- Larynx and laryngopharynx cancer
- Laser surgery (CO2, Thulium, and pulsed-KTP)
- Non-organic voice and airway disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Adult airway reconstruction
- Retrograde cricopharyngeus dysfunction
Due to the importance of first learning our diagnostic model, and also due to the often crucial nature of the work we do in the lives of our patients, this fellowship is in the early weeks somewhat observational, as initial orientation. If desired, we can provide names of other individuals who have completed fellowships of 1 to 12 months.